The Franklin County Local Development Corporation has been awarded $500,000 through the New York Main Street Program to assist building owners in Downtown Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake’s Park Street commercial district with costs associated with undertaking building renovations. Projects must be located in designated target areas, comply with design guidelines for the community and must be transformative.
- -Eligible renovations include facade renovations and restorations, the creation or renovation of commercial space, and the creation of new residential units.
- -NYMS funds may not be used for site work or ancillary activities on a property including but not limited to: septic systems/laterals, grading, parking lots, sidewalks, patios, decks, garages, sheds, landscaping, fences, free standing signs, general maintenance or repairs.
- -Projects will be selected through a competitive process and will be scored based on criteria related to visual impact, commercial impact, residential impact, and readiness.
- -Renovations must meet local design guidelines and standards, the NYS Building Code, and, NYS historic preservation standards.
- -Renovation work cannot commence until the owner executes a contract with the LDC and pays the $500 commitment fee. All work must be completed by December 31, 2019.
- -Improvements must be maintained for 5 years.
- -Only property owners current with all property taxes, utility payments and fees are eligible to apply.
- -The maximum funding assistance for a building renovation is $50,000 plus an additional $25,000 per residential unit created up to $50,000. Grant requests cannot exceed 75% of the total project cost.
February 2019 Applications available
March 2019 Deadline to Apply
March 2019 Awards Announced
April 2019 Deadline to execute contract
August 2019 Deadline to start projects
December 2019 Deadline to complete projects
Jeremy Evans, AICP
Chief Executive Officer